News: Fire Safety Items for Day Care Facilities:
- Request that the local Fire Department or State Fire Marshal’s Office conduct an annual fire inspection for code compliance, proper safety equipment and employee safety training.
- Conduct fire safety training for new employees and refresher training for all employees to review location of fire exits and the location and proper use of fire extinguishers.
- Conduct monthly fire drills.
- Maintain the proper staff to client ratio per state and local requirements.
- Install proper smoke detectors per requirements and test each month. Batteries in the detectors should be replaced at least annually.
- Provide two exits for all sleeping areas.
- Check fire extinguishers monthly and have serviced annually.
- Store any flammable liquids in proper containers and in secure areas.
- Ensure that all fire exits are not locked during business hours.