Insurance Bureaus >> Managed Health Care Bureau >> Tips
- If a problem should arise your first step should be to contact your insurer.
- Document verbal correspondence; get the name of the person provide you information, write down the main issues and the response and the date and time the conversation occurred.
- Do not hesitate to ask your plan any questions. If something is the slightest bit confusing, unclear or you just don’t understand.
- Review you Summary of Benefit Handbook to understand your appeal rights and deadlines.
- Understand your choice in network and out of network choices and cost.
- If you are going to seek out of net work care ask your plan what the reasonable and customary charges for the care you are going to receive and ask the provider the same question. (see example of balanced billing)
- Ask the cost of out of pocket expenses.