The PRC regulates (has jurisdiction over) consumer issues relating to:
- Transportation – billing issues for towing companies, ambulances, limousines, and taxis.
- Transportation – intrastate motor carrier registration.
- Pipeline safety – enforcement of state and federal regulations regarding oil and natural gas pipeline safety.
- Utilities – natural gas, propane, investor-owned water and sewer, and electric companies and electric cooperatives.
- Telecom – Incumbent Local Exchange Companies (“ILECs”) This includes Qwest, Windstream, other local phone companies – rates, service quality, repair and delay issues, and billing issues for business and residential customers.
- Telecom – Intrastate long distance carriers, but not for their rates (deregulated).
- Telecom – Slamming and cramming for telecommunications providers.
- Telecom – Limited authority (consumer protection, billing issues) over Cellular Providers.
- Telecom – Calling cards if they are issued by a Local Exchange Carrier or Reseller for intrastate use, but not rates (deregulated).
- Telecom – Competitive Local Exchange Companies (“CLEC’s”). This includes AT&T, Verizon Business, and several other companies that provide local service – rates and service quality for all customers and services. The Commission generally does not interfere with rate settings for CLECs.
- Telecom – Long Distance Resellers-These are companies that purchase intrastate long distance minutes and resell them to consumers.
- Moving companies - intrastate (within the state) moves
- State Fire Marshall – Administration of the Fire Training Academy, Fire Service Support, Arson Investigations, and Code Enforcement.